UPDATE (20-Aug-2009): The bulk of the patch has now been committed to XBMC in revision 22285. A few extra goodies added to the patch now. Might cause some conflicts once these are committed, but that might not be for a week or more.
UPDATE (18-Aug-2009): A recent update of ffmpeg in XBMC (revision 21993 on 04-Aug-2009) meant that the original patch and instructions no longer worked. The instructions below have been updated and a new patch released. Much of the original patch is now directly in XBMC Media Center due to the ffmpeg update so it is much smaller.
I maintain the Myth TV page in the XBMC wiki. Some people in New Zealand have contacted me to get instructions on what needs to be done to get recorded Freeview|HD content playing in XBMC from a Myth TV backend.
Well, here those instructions are. Luckily there isn’t as much voodoo magic as there used to be. There will be even less voodoo once some of my other patches make it into XBMC proper, and Paul Kendall’s patches for LATM encapsulated AAC decoding finally wiggle their way into ffmpeg.
These instructions assume:
- You already have Myth TV working as expected with the digital terrestrial Freeview|HD broadcast. Getting this working isn’t covered here. Go to Myth TV NZ as a starting point or join the mythtvnz mailing list for more information.
- You have seen the light and are using Linux and not Windoze
- You have a level of confidence with Linux
- You are happy to compile XBMC Media Center from source code (and have some concept of what compiling is)
- You have a smoking fast CPU. A dual core 3.0GHz or faster CPU is needed or an nVidia video card / chipset that supports VDPAU. Decoding 1080i H264 content from TV3 is super CPU intensive or needs to be offloaded to the GPU.
The New Zealand Freeview|HD digital free-to-air transmission DVB-T video stream uses the H264 codec (along with PAFF interlacing for TV3). The DVB-T audio stream uses either AC3 or LATM (Low-overhead MPEG-4 Audio Transport Multiplex) encapsulated HE-AAC. The audio and video streams are transmitted within an MPEGTS container.